Being a mum is privilege and a joy. It's fascinating to observe how the children grow, change, and become themselves through the various stages of life. But the mundane routine tasks can take their toll, leaving even the most enthusiastic and well-rested mothers a little ennuyé. For ourselves and our children, we all need to find a way to reset our many tanks, especially the ones for patience and routine. An adventure in the woods is a guaranteed cup filler for me.
A night away like this one at Mount Taranaki is ideal, but just doesn't happen very often. All the organised mums I know make lists, so thought I'd try that out and have put together a list of all the great bush walks in the Tauranga area. I'll write more detailed posts of each walk whenever possible. Many of these walks are do-able between school drop off and pick up times, but you might have to be quick for the longer ones. Also be sure to check out Tiny Tramps for Little Legs in the Tauranga Area for lots of other beautiful walks to do with your kids or without - lots in there you won't want to miss.
Tauranga-area mamas, here's your Walking To Do List:
Short to Medium Distance
- Ngamuwahine Track - SH29 - 7km - 3 hours (Return)
- Bluff Stream Kauri Loop Track - Waihi - 4.5km - 3 hours (Loop)
- Wairere Falls - Matamata - 5km - 3-4 hours (Return)
- Tarawera Outlet to Falls Track - Kawerau - 5km - 2 hours (Return)
- Sentinel Rock Lookout - Hot Springs Road, Katikati - 5.4km - 2-3 hours (Return)
- Aongatete Long Loop Walk - Katikati - 6.4km - 3 hr 30 min (Loop)
- Kohi Point - Whakatane - 7km - 3 hours (Point to point)
- Mount Eliza Mine Track Loop - Katikati - 7km - 3-5 hours (Round trip)
- William Wright Falls - Waihi - 9km - 4 hours (Return)
- Henderson Tramline Loop Track - SH29 - 9km - 3 hr 30 min (Loop)
- Otawa Trig - Tauranga - 10km - 2-4 hours (Return)
- Mount Te Aroha Summit - Te Aroha - 6km - 4-6 hours (Return)
Medium to Long Distance
- Ananui Falls - Katikati - 10km - 5 hours (Return, Woodland Road)
- Lindemann Loop Track - Te Puna - 11km - 5 hours (Loop)
- Wharawhara Tramway Track to Cashmore's Clearing - Katikati - 12km - 4-6 hours (Return)
- Waihi Beach to Homunga Bay - Waihi Beach - 14km (Return)
- Te Rereatukahia Loop Track - Katikati -14km - 3-5 hours (Loop) - Doc suggests clockwise, I say counterclockwise is easier on the knees
- Tarawera Trail - Rotorua - 15km - 3-5 hours (Point to point, arrange water taxi drop off at Hot Water Beach)
- Toi's Walkway (includes Kohi Point) - Whakatane - 17km - 3-5 hours (Loop)
- Mount Karangahake summit - Waihi - 17km - 3-5 hours (Return) - Specifics: Dickey Flat to Dubbo Track to Karangahake Mountain Track
- Waitengaue Track to Waitawheta Hut - Katikati - 20km - 6-8 hours (Return)
- Otawa to Otanewainuku - 20km - 6 hours (Point to point, drop a car at one end)
- Eastern Okataina Walkway - Rotorua - 21km - 4-6 hours (Return)
Please let me know if I'm missing any good ones. Bonus points for doing them barefoot.
Too hot for a walk? Swimming holes can also be very invigorating!
PS - Dads, grandparents, and big kids will love these walks, too.