The Bay of Plenty has so many great beaches, but I daresay, one can get tired of the salty hair and sandy cars. If you're too hot and craving fresh water, nothing beats a cool, cool water hole. (See what I did there? Cool as in awesome, cool as in cold. Haha, not so funny if you have to explain it, eh?)
I won't post about a spot unless I've been there so the list will keep growing.
Here are some of our faves in the Tauranga and Rotorua area:
- Up Whakamarama Road, around the corner from Puketoki Reserve
- Raparapahoe Falls
- Pori Pori
- Whataroa Falls at Otanewainuku
- Kaiate Falls*
- Hot n' Cold Pools near Waiotapu
- Kerosene Creek
- Wairere Falls Track
- Aongatete River
- En route to Cashmore's Clearing from Wharawhara Road
- Rapurapu Kauri Track
- Manoeka Road Dam - Otawa Trig
*Often closed for swimming due to poor water quality. When in doubt, check with the Regional Council before you go.
I've love to hear about your favourite secret swimming spots! Next on our list is Trout Pool swimming hole at Okere Falls.